AFP supports US deal to boost defense posture

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Wednesday expressed support for an initiative to enhance the country's defense capabilities following strategic talks with the US.

Military spokesperson Francis Margareth A. “The AFP supports initiatives that enhance our defense capability, interoperability and readiness in accordance with existing agreements and Philippine laws,” Padilla said in a Viber group chat.

The talks focused on strengthening Manila's defense posture, including the deployment of advanced US missile and unmanned systems amid tensions in the South China Sea. Last year, Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System missile platforms were deployed to the Philippines for the joint Balikatan exercise and docked at an undisclosed location.

“The purpose of any deployment of allied systems is to strengthen training, improve domain awareness and support our collective defense posture,” Ms Padilla said.

The agreement also includes expanding multilateral cooperation through maritime exercises, joint operations and enhanced security coordination.

Both countries aim to improve joint preparedness, interoperability and response capacity to contingencies, including civilian-led disaster management. The talks also discussed boosting the Philippines' energy sector to support economic and defense priorities.

The development comes amid rising tensions with Beijing over disputed features in the South China Sea. China claims almost the entire waterway under the U-shaped nine-dash line, which overlaps with the Philippines' exclusive economic zone. Manila rejected these claims, citing a 2016 Permanent Court of Arbitration ruling in its favor.

“These efforts contribute to our mission to defend Philippine sovereignty, secure our national territory, and maintain peace and stability in the region,” Ms Padilla said. — Adrian H. Halili

Source link