
The Bureau of Customs on Wednesday said the Department of Finance is close to approving a proposal that will require freight forwarders to post a P2 million cash bond upon validation.
Customs Commissioner Ariel F. Nepomuceno said the cash bond is intended to cover the costs of delays caused by errors in handling deconsolidators. balikbayan boxes.
“We also need to set up processes with precise parameters, standards and accountability if they still make mistakes,” he said at an event on Wednesday.
“We have already proposed it; our Customs Administrative Order request is close to being approved by the Treasury Department,” he said.
In response to increasing complaints of missing or undelivered packages by overseas Filipino workers and their families, the bureau said it has initiated in-person deliveries. balikbayan Boxes from door to door.
For the first wave last year, the bureau processed 68 containers containing 20,944 boxes, of which 14,305 have already been released and distributed.
It said the final wave included 72 containers with an estimated 24,536 boxes.
The bureau said there are 14 containers that have been released from the Manila International Container Port, while 58 are pending clearance and waiver of port fees. — Aubrey Rose A. innocente