The Kogi State government has advised centers of worship located in “crime-prone areas” to reconsider holding services until security improves, following the kidnapping of several congregants during a church attack on Sunday.
Gunmen attacked a newly established Cherubim and Seraphim Church in Ejiba, Yagba West LGA during morning worship, abducting the pastor, his wife and several members of the congregation.
Reacting to the incident, Information Commissioner Kingsley Fanwo urged residents to increase vigilance and report suspicious activity immediately.
“We urge citizens to be security conscious and report suspicious activities and faces to security agencies. When you see something, say something,” Fanwo said.
Also read: Tunde Bakare tells Tinubu to 'stop playing with ostrich', improve security as threats escalate
He said a joint team of traditional security agencies and local monitoring networks had begun operations to secure the release of the victims, but noted that the government was still awaiting official data from the investigation.
Fanwo said worship centers located outside city centers or in isolated communities should “reconsider holding worship in crime-prone areas until the situation improves.”
The Ejiba attack came less than two weeks after bandits abducted several worshipers from the Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) assembly in Eruku, a border community between Kogi and Kwara states. President Bola Tinubu announced last Sunday that the kidnapped CAC members had been rescued.